FE-vene ja yhdistys / FE-båten och föreningen

Moderators: Petri, harald

michihito
alokas
Vene: Karoliina

Spec for Mast and spreaders

Post by michihito »

Hello.

I found a spreader on starboard side has a crack. See attached photos. I would like to order new one but I don't know which company produced this one. Does anyone has any idea which product it is?

http://michihito.com/file/fe83_spreader ... ard_1.jpeg
http://michihito.com/file/fe83_spreader ... ard_2.jpeg
Last edited by michihito on Mon Oct 24, 2022 00:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
alex
luti
Vene: Subbota

Re: Spec for Mast and spreaders

Post by alex »

If the boat is a Finn Express 83 - that rig is from Selden. There are detailed Selden catalogs, you should be able to find the spreaders by dimensions.

One FE83 has replaced her mast just recently - they might have spare spreaders, too. Another option is to weld the cracks.
michihito
alokas
Vene: Karoliina

Post by michihito »

Thanks. This helps me a lot!
harald
Hallitus
Vene: Charlotta

Post by harald »

I wouldn't trust old aluminium with a new weld on it. It's quite hard to get the heat treating right afterwards to avoid local tempering of the material. You might lose 50% of the strength if just welding.

https://makeitfrommetal.com/does-weldin ... weaken-it/
FIN-2674 s/y Charlotta [Mielipiteet on mielipiteitä] GSM: +358 50 594 1020
alex
luti
Vene: Subbota

Post by alex »

It is true, old aluminium doesn't weld well.
Panu
hyperaktiivi

Post by Panu »

alex wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 09:42 am It is true, old aluminium doesn't weld well.
Actually it welds well but the microstructure must be harmoniced first by anealing the work piece and then to do precipitaion hardening again. The fact that it is not normal that workshop has a heat trestment furnace, makes the end result questinable... #-o

For this reason it makes sense that aluminium railroad carts are being welded by stir welding witch is kind of friction welding method without HAZ (Heat Affected Zone) problems in the material. Because of that heat treatment afterward is not required. I can't imaging the furnace big enough to fit in a railroad cart... :shock: #-o [-o< :roll: :lol:
Ystävällisin veneily terveisin PR
Panu
hyperaktiivi

Post by Panu »

Panu wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 20:30 pm
alex wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 09:42 am It is true, old aluminium doesn't weld well.
Actually it welds well but the microstructure must be harmoniced first by anealing the work piece and then to do precipitation hardening again. The fact that it is not normal that workshop has a heat trestment furnace, makes the end result questinable... #-o

For this reason it makes sense that aluminium railroad carts are being welded by stir welding witch is kind of friction welding method without HAZ (Heat Affected Zone) problems in the material. Because of that heat treatment afterward is not required. I can't imaging the furnace big enough to fit in a railroad cart... :shock: #-o [-o< :roll: :lol:
Panu
hyperaktiivi

Post by Panu »

Panu wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 20:31 pm
Panu wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 20:30 pm
Actually it welds well but the microstructure must be harmoniced first by anealing the work piece and then to do precipitation hardening again. The fact that it is not normal that workshop has a heat trestment furnace, makes the end result questionable... #-o

Cage
Hallitus
Vene: Estelle

Post by Cage »

Some maybe 5-6 years ago I got a quote from Rig-Man (rig-man.fi) gave me an offer for new ones, so even if the mast is old and not produced anymore, seems like it would be able to get at least spreaders for it still.
Cage, s/y Estelle (FIN-2040)