FE-vene ja yhdistys / FE-båten och föreningen

Moderators: Petri, harald

alex
luti
Vene: Subbota

Primer & antifoulung?

Post by alex »

Hi,

What does common knowledge say about the best epoxy primer for keel job (cast iron)? Hempel Light Primer? West System 105? Anything else?

Another question is what would be a good sleek antifouling? I was using self-polishing Hempel Mille Xtra during past years. It has very good antifouling properties, but I suspect it for additional friction. Which hard antifouling paint would you recommend?

Alex
Last edited by alex on Thu Apr 17, 2014 22:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petri
FE-junkie

Post by Petri »

For a thorough keel-job I'd probably use some cheaper primer, after all, epoxy is epoxy regardless of the brand. Naturally there are other aspects as well for a good outcome but let's go in there when necessary.

Hard racing is quite common with fene-people and most likely not the worst option nor the priciest one either, however all of the "consumer-aimed" paints are sh*t in terms of "antifouling" nowadays, with ¤¤¤ you can ask a professional to paint the boat with proper stuff with some actual toxic components (so, the regulations aren't actually aimed to protect the sea, but the business of marine industry ;) ). But most likely whatever standard issue antifouling you will be using, you still have to clean up the bottom once or twice/year, your diver friend is quite useful asset :D
harald
Hallitus
Vene: Charlotta

Post by harald »

I'd go for the Teknos inerta primer epoxy paint. Doesn't really matter which epoxy in my opinion as well. Take the cheapest.

I would treat the iron with crc rust remover or some other phosporic acid before primer.

I am pleased with Hempel Glide Speed, available in a store near you nowadays. I would highly recommend sanding between each layer of primer and antifouling. Say P180 or P240 paper, wet. The finish the last antifouling with P180, P240, and P360.

If you have any ambitions, then I'd recommend washing the bottom monthly after mid of june. And before any "important" race.
FIN-2674 s/y Charlotta [Mielipiteet on mielipiteitä] GSM: +358 50 594 1020
Arttu
alokas

Post by Arttu »

harald wrote: I am pleased with Hempel Glide Speed, available in a store near you nowadays. I would highly recommend sanding between each layer of primer and antifouling. Say P180 or P240 paper, wet. The finish the last antifouling with P180, P240, and P360.
Is Glide Speed worth paying some extra if you compare with Hard Racing? What makes it so special, really?
harald
Hallitus

Post by harald »

We have sailed with Glide Speed for years. That should make it a must for everyone else :)
Olli
hyperaktiivi

Post by Olli »

harald wrote:We have sailed with Glide Speed for years. That should make it a must for everyone else :)
It's not the Glide Speed. We have clear evidence that it's the red stripes. They are always faster than blue. Even if you remove the stripes, the boat is still faster.
Olli Niemi
Arttu
alokas

Post by Arttu »

harald wrote:We have sailed with Glide Speed for years. That should make it a must for everyone else :)
So THAT makes it special? :shock: I think I'll go for Glide Speed!
alex
luti

Post by alex »

harald wrote:If you have any ambitions, then I'd recommend washing the bottom monthly after mid of june.
I'll have to grow by other means to that level of ambitions. :-D
alex
luti

Post by alex »

harald wrote:We have sailed with Glide Speed for years.
I finally got the point! But a good advice must contain a bit of pepper - the shelves are already empty. All red colored Glide Speed is gone...
harald
Hallitus

Post by harald »

I'd have to send an invoice to Hempel then.
Cage
Hallitus
Vene: Estelle

Post by Cage »

Hempelin Glide Speediä ei nää näytä olevan myynnissä eikä myöskään Hempelin veneenhoito-oppaassa. Jaaha, mitäs sitä sitten sutisi pohjaan tänä vuonna?

Uskoisi että ainakin Hard Racing jää Glide Speedin päälle kiinni, eli siihen suuntaan Hempel kai sitten pakottaa.
Cage, s/y Estelle (FIN-2040)
harald
Hallitus

Post by harald »

Ettei se vaan olisi vaihtanut nimeä? SVB:ssä on sellainen kun "Hard Racing antifouling with TecCel" joka kokemukseni mukaan on juuri sitä, mitä tuo Glide Speed oli.

https://www.svb24.com/en/hempel-hard-ra ... eccel.html

Ehkä tuo nimi oli liian rohkea?
Cage
Hallitus

Post by Cage »

Huomasin tuon saman ja päädyin samaan päätelmään. Kaikkien Hard Racing maalien kohdalla on SVB:ssä merkintä ettei saa käyttää Suomessa. Ja Suomen liikkeissä ei näyttäisi olevan tuota "with TecCel" versiota. Onko Suomen lainsäädäntö tms. muuttunut viime vuodesta? Tai onkohan businesspäätös olla tuomatta muuta kuin Hard Racing Xtraa Suomeen?
Juice
kokelas

Post by Juice »

Motonetissä on Glide Speedin loppuunmyynti. Jos pitää kiirettä, maalia saanee vielä ja vieläpä alennuksella.
Cage
Hallitus

Post by Cage »

Joo, mut siellänon vaan punaista. Sehän kyllä vaikuttaa olevan nopein väri. :lol: