WHC 2/2013

Moderators: Petri, harald

harald
Hallitus
Vene: Charlotta

Post by harald »

Tämä aihepiiri, eli miten rikin eri jännitykset toimivat käytännössä vesillä on aika mielenkiintoinen. Alavanttien liika löysyys voi olla vähän vaarallista, sillä maston taipuessa on riski että muoto valuu taaksepäin ja takaliikki sulkee. Parempi pitää alavantit sen verran kireänä että isopurjeen etuosaan tulee hiukan pussia kovemmassa kelissä mun mielestä. Liika kireys ei ole myöskään hyvä, sillä silloin pitää ajaa aktiivisemmin hekkiä joka on yhdistetylle pinnamiehelle ison skuuttajalle vähän liikaa. Sopivasti on paras!

Alavanttien liika löysyys aiheuttaa myös sen että maston taipuessa lähestyy keulaharuksen kiinnityspiste kantta = keulaharus löystyy juuri kun sen ei pitäisi.

Meillä on aina ylävantit maksimikireydessä, eli 25% murtolujuudesta. Jos jotain haluttaisiin säätää niin keskikeliin kierros löysemmät alavantit ja kovempaan kireämmät. Hyvällä perussäädöllä tuotakaan ei välttämättä tarvitse, monella muulla asialla on suurempi merkitys. Lähdetään nyt esimerkiksi perusasioista eli skuutin kireydestä, sillä on paljon suurempi merkitys.
FIN-2674 s/y Charlotta [Mielipiteet on mielipiteitä] GSM: +358 50 594 1020
asalovuo
Hallitus

Post by asalovuo »

Merellin tracki ladattu.
Kellot näyttäisi olevan kohtuullisen hyvin synkassa :)
Antti
S/y Merelli
FIN 2545
harald
Hallitus

Post by harald »

Huoh, Lisbeth oli kyllä melko lähellä osumaa. Tuossa lähdössä on kivi sen nelosen kohdalla, jos muistan oikein. Nyt tuntuu siltä että tuo huutoni Olgalle esteestä ei ollut perusteeton ollenkaan. Jos olisin tiennyt (nähnyt) että olimme noin lähellä sitä nelos-numeroa kartalla olisi pyytänyt aikaisemminkin.

http://www.fe83.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... osen#17855
Muistakaa sitten että pintakiven eteläpuolella olevan nelosen reikä-kolmion kohdalla koltahtaa jos vedentaso on matalalla.
edit: Näyttää ainakin nopeasti katsottuna siltä että sekä Merellillä että Lisbethillä oli ongelmia nopeuden kanssa lähdön jälkeisellä kryssillä. Meillä nopeus sen 5,5 kn, muilla 5,1.
Olli
hyperaktiivi

Post by Olli »

harald wrote:Huoh, Lisbeth oli kyllä melko lähellä osumaa. Tuossa lähdössä on kivi sen nelosen kohdalla, jos muistan oikein.
Vähän tossa päätä huimasi, mutta meidän alla oli vielä isompi vene, josta huudeltiin syvyyslukemia, jotain 2,3:a kuulin sieltä, mutta eivät vielä pyytäneet tilaa.
harald wrote:edit: Näyttää ainakin nopeasti katsottuna siltä että sekä Merellillä että Lisbethillä oli ongelmia nopeuden kanssa lähdön jälkeisellä kryssillä. Meillä nopeus sen 5,5 kn, muilla 5,1.
Oli kyllä vaikeeta ajaa puolisokkona, en nähnyt karttaa enkä mitään purjevenettä pienempiä hahmoja ympäristössä. Loki näytti mitä näytti, gepsin nopeus olisi jotain kertonut, jos sen olisi nähnyt... Kryssikin alkoi kulkea paljon paremmin, kun nakkasin silmälasit pois.
Olli Niemi
Petri
FE-junkie

Post by Petri »

harald wrote:Huoh, Lisbeth oli kyllä melko lähellä osumaa. Tuossa lähdössä on kivi sen nelosen kohdalla, jos muistan oikein. Nyt tuntuu siltä että tuo huutoni Olgalle esteestä ei ollut perusteeton ollenkaan. Jos olisin tiennyt (nähnyt) että olimme noin lähellä sitä nelos-numeroa kartalla olisi pyytänyt aikaisemminkin.
Sattuneista syistä olin kyllä tosiaan kokoajan varuilla teidän huutonne kanssa ja oikeastaan vain venailin että koska kolahtaa :D
Ei mulla ollut kyllä mitään aikomusta jatkaa kauhean paljoa pidemmällekään.

Ja aika harvoin voi sanoa että madaltuvan rannan luona huudettu huuto olisi koskaan perusteeton, tai ainakin tahtoisin nähdä sen kaverin joka sitten lähtee osoittamaan että "kyllä siellä olisi ollut vettä".

edit: Näyttää ainakin nopeasti katsottuna siltä että sekä Merellillä että Lisbethillä oli ongelmia nopeuden kanssa lähdön jälkeisellä kryssillä. Meillä nopeus sen 5,5 kn, muilla 5,1.
Mulla nopeus oli jossain 5.3 tienoilla ison osan ajasta mutta välillä kanssa tippui 5,1 tienoille, tai sen verran mitä mittareita edes näin. Mutta kyllä ainakin sitten sillä toisella kryssillä vauhdin ylläpito meni vaikeaksi, olisikohan tuuli ehkä hivenen tippunut ja ei saatu trimmiä vastaamaan sitä keliä ja jatkoin ajamista kuin olisi kovempikin keli.
alex
luti
Vene: Subbota

Re: WHC 2/2013

Post by alex »

It was second short-handed race in a row. In these weather conditions I once more recalled how good it would be to have a designated person to watch the start procedure. We didn’t have such luxury. I didn’t not hear the 4 minutes gun and none of us could see the race track number. Yellow flag I saw – half of the success, no doubt. With strong gusts, excessive heel and no crew we started on 1st reef. We unreefed between the first green mark and red buoy where the wind became steadier and made handling slightly easier. And about the same time the track #3 became obvious when we saw the first boat making round the red buoy.

Log didn’t work – another half of success. It was failing since the beginning of the season and I came to test it couple of days ago. It worked perfectly on the test, but not on the race. Thanks God depth sounder worked – you do need it in Käärmesaari waters. Funny enough the sounder readings changed to “Error” right when we crossed the finished line. Now I have business to figure out.

We were not able to point too high and slowly were losing our position all the way up. We managed to shorten the distance to the fleet passing by Käärmesaari downwind, but our jibe around the red buoy was not the best and we lost height and didn’t make the leg to the last green mark under spinnaker – we tried half the way since we saw Tyyne+ struggling with spinnaker just before us and we were clearly catching them. But eventually we got afraid to lose the light spinnaker in such a wind. We put the spinnaker down and jib up and restored status quo after the green mark. Tyyne+’s spinnaker tore just a second before we decided we put ours down. But we managed to shorten the distance enough to secure our second to last position.

Could have been faster. If…

Weather conditions were lovely – I was soaking wet all the way to my underwear, a dry suit would have been just right. At moments I couldn’t see for longer than quarter a mile. But sailing is always good and it was a good company. :-) I hope to get my sick 3rd crew member back for the next race. :-)
Petri
FE-junkie

Post by Petri »

What interests me is what, after all these years, has got you into racing, which is great of course but makes me wonder who else we could lure/trick/bribe/extort to participate WHC. I reckon there are at least 20 FE83's within a reasonable distance to WHC-starting line, maybe even more, so wouldn't it be cool to have all of those on the line on some beautiful summer evening.
Could we try to market some mid-August-WHC as some type of WHC-regatta and try to get even more not-commonly racing boats to attend (Well, Subbota is not anymore not-commonly racing boat but a hardcore racer ;))
alex
luti

Post by alex »

Petri wrote:What interests me is what, after all these years, has got you into racing
Well, I'd say that "all these years" sounds to me much longer than the time I have the FE. :-) Though Harald was talking about racing since I registered in this chat. :-))

I got into racing because a) I like sailing, b) racing is fun, c) racing is a good way to learn and gain experience. Why not earlier? Perhaps I (myself, also my boat and crew) was not ready, just like that. But you could have bribed me last year. ;-)
Petri wrote:who else we could lure/trick/bribe/extort to participate WHC. I reckon there are at least 20 FE83's within a reasonable distance to WHC-starting line, maybe even more, so wouldn't it be cool to have all of those on the line on some beautiful summer evening.
Could we try to market some mid-August-WHC as some type of WHC-regatta and try to get even more not-commonly racing boats to attend
That would have been be a good event to bring 20 FEs to WHC or similar race at least once, question is how many of them stay for the next WHC after that. It's hard to motivate people in a long run. Which is a shame.
alex
luti

Post by alex »

Petri wrote:Could we try to market some mid-August-WHC as some type of WHC-regatta and try to get even more not-commonly racing boats to attend
Thought about it a little more. It's important to understand who is the typical FE owner/user. I'm afraid it's a freak, please don't take it as an offense. :-D People/syndicates with money will go for FinnFlyer 36+, people with fat sponsors go for 40+ sporty boats, people with no money at all will fall for H-boats. FE is pretty much more expensive as H-boat, and not luxury and speedy as big boys. FE is for true lovers. And we all know what true lovers love.

So you'll have to arrange a good festival with regatta, beer and grill. And make sure that not only the very last lines in the results table are reserved for the newcomers. And the most important - you have to market it very well and in advance - that probably means now.

Disclaimer: All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
harald
Hallitus

Post by harald »

It's maybe time to reviwe the Finn Express regatta?

http://www.fe83.org/wiki/index.php/FE-regatta_2010
Petri
FE-junkie

Post by Petri »

alex wrote:
Petri wrote:Could we try to market some mid-August-WHC as some type of WHC-regatta and try to get even more not-commonly racing boats to attend
Thought about it a little more. It's important to understand who is the typical FE owner/user. I'm afraid it's a freak, please don't take it as an offense. :-D People/syndicates with money will go for FinnFlyer 36+, people with fat sponsors go for 40+ sporty boats, people with no money at all will fall for H-boats. FE is pretty much more expensive as H-boat, and not luxury and speedy as big boys. FE is for true lovers. And we all know what true lovers love.

So you'll have to arrange a good festival with regatta, beer and grill. And make sure that not only the very last lines in the results table are reserved for the newcomers. And the most important - you have to market it very well and in advance - that probably means now.

Disclaimer: All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Good thinking, that was my intention as well that if we schedule the event for August, there could be some basis for even getting people to attend.
Then again, I might not go so high-brow, just the general idea of getting more people try racing and then maybe continue the evening at e.g. the harbor near the starting line for a brief get-together. Though these type of plans are very weather dependent, Wednesday's weather might not get high attendance numbers... A completely independent regatta on the other hand would be easier to arrange due to weekend-timing etc. but WHC is already there, it is scheduled and approximately 10 FE's have that in their calendars in any case.

But, there is is the weak point, I'd reckon 95% of the active FE83-skippers seem to have an engineering degree, so marketing is truly our greatest hinderence.
alex
luti

Post by alex »

harald wrote:It's maybe time to reviwe the Finn Express regatta?

http://www.fe83.org/wiki/index.php/FE-regatta_2010
When will it take place in 2013?
Olli
hyperaktiivi

Post by Olli »

alex wrote:So you'll have to arrange a good festival with regatta, beer and grill. And make sure that not only the very last lines in the results table are reserved for the newcomers. And the most important - you have to market it very well and in advance - that probably means now.
This really sounds like the "Hanko village race", our class championships... Only problem is that all the cruising sailors think that only professionals can participate. Truth is that you don't need to be pro sailor, it's enough if you are a professional beer drinker or beef eater.
Olli Niemi
alex
luti

Post by alex »

Olli wrote:This really sounds like the "Hanko village race", our class championships... Only problem is that all the cruising sailors think that only professionals can participate.
Hanko regatta does not fit Petri's description "I reckon there are at least 20 FE83's within a reasonable distance to WHC-starting line". Hanko is at least few hours of sailing from WHC area and it will kill half of the potential participants. And no one will sail from Hanko for WHC.
Olli wrote:Truth is that you don't need to be pro sailor, it's enough if you are a professional beer drinker or beef eater.
This is a brilliant ready to go marketing slogan! :-D
Petri
FE-junkie

Post by Petri »

alex wrote:Hanko regatta does not fit Petri's description "I reckon there are at least 20 FE83's within a reasonable distance to WHC-starting line". Hanko is at least few hours of sailing from WHC area and it will kill half of the potential participants. And no one will sail from Hanko for WHC.
Actually Olli was talking about the Hanko Village (i.e. Hangonkylä, I think Alex has a fairly good understanding of Finnish so I guess there's no point translating local names etc.), which is on the north side of Hankoniemi. But true, it is bit far away from where all the boats normally float and it is bit difficult to combine the numerous boats and the post-racing activities you were describing.

However we have tried to make the event pretty much what you describe, but typically not that many "recreational sailors" attend these events=W/L-races.