Black FE83?

FE-vene ja yhdistys / FE-båten och föreningen

Moderators: Petri, harald

Petri
FE-junkie

Re: Black FE83?

Post by Petri »

Is that really 40 year old family cruiser (also in finnish known as ferrobetoni) :) what a facelift and solid racing setup as well.

One additional data point on hoisting spinnaker from cockpit, not the anchor pit, I guess real difference was never really "measured" but at least I still prefer the anchor pit-option.
harald
Hallitus
Vene: Charlotta

Post by harald »

Same notes as Petri. At least try stuffing the spinnaker with a windward takedown into the anchorpit (which is emptied of course).

Also a bag on the boom for the spinnaker boom is much easier to use than a piece of PVC-pipe.

Looks great!
FIN-2674 s/y Charlotta [Mielipiteet on mielipiteitä] GSM: +358 50 594 1020
Ülari
alokas

Post by Ülari »

Spinnaker pole bag is definitely on our wish list, but they are not cheap for "just a bag".
About hoisting spinnaker from anchorpit. Well we have not tested it, but we have talked about it within team and also with Estonian dragon sailors (who have done it both ways and now everyone are doing cockpit hoist). At first, hoisting from cockpit was our default option from our 1/4 ton days, but now we still feel confident about it, since our reasoning is that we can hold spinnaker up longer near leeward mark. We take spinnaker always down from side where it will go up next time, so when we do windward drop, bowman will be "human pole" for last 30 or so seconds and when I say "spinnaker down" he just pulls it down near shrouds and pass it on to pitman who push spinnaker inside.
Hoisting I think would be faster from anchorpit, but with later drop, we would net longer spinnaker up time with cockpit launch.
Petri
FE-junkie

Post by Petri »

You can do a pirated bag with few tens of euros worth of cloth. I think we even have drawings somewhere.

I would say that main benefit on anchorpit is that spinnaker is always immediately re-hoistable. And same method for removing pole first and taking spinnaker down to pit can be used as well and it really doesn't take any longer but the pitman is free to set up jib sheets etc. But testing both is best way, there are now right or wrong was, whichever is fastest to specific crew is the best.